Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Rust is the enemy...

I recently did a Bumper-ectomy (front and rear). I will attempt to use the factory steel bumpers as templates to create fiberglass reverse molds and replacement bumpers. The originals weigh a ton, and stick out too far. The fiberglass units will be far lighter and I can tuck them up to the bodywork. After removing the bumpers, I removed the bumper-filler (injection molded pieces that are painted body color). Those are mounted on pins that are riveted through the sheetmetal. Removing the pins left several holes. I tapped them flat and sprayed anything remotely oxydized with rust inhibitor (black}.
Then everything tan or black got a shot of grey primer...



Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Of course, I've never actually fabricated anything in fiberglass, but how hard can it be? Insert laugh-track here...

No comments:

Post a Comment