Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Drop plates, part II...

Since "Drop Plates V1.0" went so well (not), it's on to V2.0. This time I know what I'm dealing with... A36 mild steel. The internet, specifically Ebay, is a beautiful thing. I started with 4" x 8" x 5/8" plate. I went with 5/8 after reading several drop plate threads on The AMC Forum.

No automatic alt text available.

 I had a buddy at work cut the blanks to size on the Hyd-Mech saw. The 1/2 inch stock seems to work really well for the 1-3/4" drop style, but I like the idea of added bending resistance with the thicker material. These plates should allow almost 2.5" of drop, so a little extra unsprung weight is a worthwhile trade-off. I cleaned up the blanks at the grinder. Next is to the Bridgeport for boring the six 7/16 through holes and a little clean up. I'll chamfer the holes and send them through the tumbler. I'll either put them through the Black Oxide line, or paint them black.

No automatic alt text available.

I'll post additional pics as these progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment