Thursday, December 29, 2016

Drop plates (drop spindles)...

Finally started fabbing the drop-plates... 

I bought a 1/2" piece of plate steel earlier this year. It's about 11"x 23" of unknown type/grade. I got it at a local scrap yard in their "burn-out" area. Basically, they torch cut whatever is larger than they can put through the shredder. I think I paid $10 for this piece and a 7" x 18" piece of 1/4" thick stock for the caliper bracket mounts for the Ford disc brake conversion.
No automatic alt text available.

Turns out it might be made from unobtainium... this stuff is hard! I tried cutting the blanks on a bandsaw with a bi-metal blade... the steel giggled. We ended up cutting this stuff on the Hyd-Mech saw... slowly... After we blanked the pieces on the saw, I took them to the Bridgeport to true them up... I proceeded to destroy a high-speed steel end-mill after a few passes. I switched to a carbide end-mill and took .0020 at a time... slowly. I beveled the edges on a 12" sander/grinder with 80 grit and threw them in the tumbler. 
No automatic alt text available.

After tumbling...
No automatic alt text available.

I'm off until Tuesday, so I'll start on the through holes next week. 

There are a couple different lowering plate designs, The more common of the two gives a 1-3/4" drop, which works well for a street stance. I am using the maximum drop design. It should give me about 2-1/2" of drop without effecting the steering geometry... 

I'm not looking to "slam" the Hornet, but I want to get the body down over the tires. Since I've taken weight off of the from end, she sits pretty high. The rear I'll lower with drop blocks, maybe 1-1/2 to 2 inches. Axle wrap shouldn't be an issue, but I will fit traction bars none the less. That's still down the road a piece...

No comments:

Post a Comment