Saturday, August 20, 2016

Who needs cold air anyway...?

Well, I did the A/C delete yesterday. This is an old R12 system that was never converted to R134. I checked the low-pressure side for refrigerant, but there was nothing. I'm sure it leaked-out long ago... It's becoming more obvious every day that even in 1975, cars were designed to be put together, not taken apart. Even with the TSM handy, finding bolts and attachment point isn't always easy. I did manage to take 42 pounds of stuff out of the engine bay... (box o'stuff)...


I wasn't smart enough to take any "before" pictures, but I can borrow a generic "AMC 6 with A/C" pic off of the net and add my "after" pictures.  I haven't even thought about the under-dash stuff yet... that's a battle for another day. When the time comes for safety equipment, I'll worry about removing the ventilation and heating plumbing. Generic AMC 6 with A/C picture...



I still have to relocate the alternator and find a belt that will work. I may need to add an idler pulley or tensioner. The alternator ran off of the A/C compressor via a short belt. I need to line it up with one of the crank pulleys and fit a longer belt or buy a separate belt to the front (A/C) pulley.  


I'll shift gears briefly and see if I can get the broken sway bar bolt out of the threaded insert. Then I can check one more thing off the list... pics to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment