Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Inside... a mixed bag...

When I bought the Hornet, the previous owner had replaced the carpet with a decent fitting, black after market piece. The back seat is from a '77 AMX and he had died the old tan dash and door cards black. So far, so good. The under-hatch area was untouched, and missing most of its factory panels, including the carpeted plywood "floor".















Since this is more of a "build" than a "restoration", I decided to just fabricate some basic, lightweight panels to give it a semi-finished look. I used 1/4" Luaun that I cut to shape and covered it in generic black automotive fabric. Contact cement is a beautiful thing. The sheet metal got two coats of rattle-can truck bed spray. The old weather seal in the hatch was powder, so I got a replacement from www.weatherstripspecial.com , it fit like a glove and I only had to trim 1" to butt the ends. I ran out of Fall, so the plywood floor goes in shortly and I need front seats. The factory units are toast, so I'm looking at newer seats as a "make-fit". I'm eye-balling some Passat seats on Craigslist. Dark grey fabric, manual adjust with lumbar... we'll see...
















I'll update with a few more pics when the interior is in nearly complete condition...

UPDATE: the Passat seats won't work with the AMC seat tracks... very different design. I did get to spend an hour talking cars... still worth the trip...

No comments:

Post a Comment